Thursday, April 7, 2011 | By: Unknown

Artistic Temperment Exposed

Typographic element, Unvrs, sxc.hu
That's right, I'm going to do it for all the world to see. Nope, you can't stop me, I'm exposing the artistic temperment of writerly people on my blog in honor of the A to Z Challenge for the month of April. The month also begins with A, so what could be better? Well, of course not exposing anything could be better, but it's my duty to warn the non-writerly people so they have a chance at least to save themselves.

Crazy Lady, Shine4Him8, sxc.hu
The artistic temperment of a writerly type is extremely volatile. One minute everything is fine, the next there's gnashing of teeth, growling and probably hair pulling. There's many reasons for all those strange sounds. The computer and/or site might have eaten hours of hard work. A minor mess up where something comes out sounding awkward can cause this reaction in some. The worst possible cause...the writerly's must just deserted him/her. Do not approach and don't make any sudden moves. It could result in a very ugly scene that ends with broken furniture.

Non-writerly types should be wary even when the posture of the writer is relaxed and smiling. It means things are going very well, the words are flowing, but one little interruption could spell their doom. Yelling things like, "Mom, where's my favorite pants?" or "Honey, I'm hungry." could turn the placid writerly person into a not so nice person. Never, ever interrupt the flow between the muse and the writer lest you find yourself in the middle of a real life horror movie titled: What Happens When You Interrupt a Writerly Type Person. Fend for yourself until the work day is over.

One last warning before I go. Just because the writerly person remove their bottom from the chair in front of the computer does not mean it's open season for solving world hunger, bringing peace to all and making said writerly fix you food. Their mind is likely composing the next great article as they write/walk to feed their own belly. Us writerly types need an occasional break too. Keep fending for yourself until you don't see any documents open and said writerly type person actually speaks to you.

Just a few simple rules that could save your life, sanity and keep you all in one piece. My civic duty done, I must now stride off into the sunset to compose more words for the masses.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh! I'm a writerly type, too! I suspect I'm more like a Times Roman... ;)

I work best with lots of coffee in the system (mine, not the laptop's). Great post!

Theresa Wiza said...

I've had to learn to deal with chronic, incessant, unrelenting interruptions. I carry my laptop and my notebook EVERYWHERE, and unless a child falls face-first off a toy roller coaster into the floor (happened yesterday), or a child falls on a broken tree branch (also happened yesterday), or a child falls off a chair in a restaurant as he leans over to grab his falling napkin (happened today), I WILL entertain my muse and I WILL stave off the interruption until I can at least scribble a little note to remind me later of what my muse was TRYING to tell me.

Langley Cornwell said...

Yes! Exactly what I need my husband to read. You have done your civic duty indeed. Thanks!

Derek Odom said...

Nice, and so true! Luckily, interruptions aren't a big worry for me, but they have been in the past and it can just about drive a guy crazy.